These guidelines may be revised at any time depending on the needs of the Amherst Garden Club and the level of funding available. Exceptions to these guidelines may be made if approved by the Charitable Fund Committee and the club’s Board of Directors.
- The maximum amount of a grant is typically $2,000.
- Organizations awarded a grant in a given fiscal year (the club’s fiscal year is June 30–July1) are encouraged not to seek another grant until the following fiscal year.
- Individuals are not usually eligible for grants.
- Grant recipients are required to fill out the Charitable Fund Follow Up Form within 6 months of being awarded funds.
- Funds not used within two years of the date awarded must be returned to the Amherst Garden Club.
- Nonprofit organizations, including the Amherst Garden Club, are given preference for grants, but the committee may also consider proposals from for profit organizations.
How Decisions are Made
Each grant request is carefully considered in deciding whether or not to award funding. When an application is received, all members of the Charitable Fund Committee receive a copy for review. The committee then meets in person (or by phone or email if necessary to avoid delay) as soon as possible to consider the grant request. Applications are reviewed for:
- Completeness — Is all the information requested submitted? Is the application well done?
- Alignment with our mission — Is the project consistent with the Amherst Garden Club’s mission?
- Viability of the organization requesting funds — Is this a reputable and successful organization in the community?
- Viability of other sources of funding for the project, if applicable — Are other sources of funding available to applicant? How much money has already been raised?
- Potential for success and completion — Does the committee feel that the organization will complete the proposed project and that it will have continued support in the community?
- Level of need — Does the project fulfill an unmet need rather than duplicate the efforts of other organizations?
Applications can be submitted at any time during the year. The Charitable Fund Committee meets as needed to evaluate new grant requests and make a recommendation. Applicants are notified by mail or email as soon as a decision is made. The process normally takes 6 to 8 weeks but may take longer depending on the time of year.
How to Apply
All applications must submitted by email. The application form is a fillable PDF.
- Open the Charitable Fund Application in your browser.
- Click your browser’s download button and save the file to your computer.
- Open the file and complete the application by typing in the fields (save your work as you go).
- Attach the completed application form to an email and send it to email@example.com. Also attach any supporting materials, such as a list of board of directors, diagrams, etc.
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We look forward to receiving your application!